Ôn thi IELTS với từ vựng chủ đề phim ảnh (Movie) và âm nhạc (Music)
Phim ảnh và âm nhạc là 2 chủ đề thường được hỏi trong kỳ thi IELTS, đặc biệt là trong phần 1 của IELTS Speaking với những câu hỏi như “What do you usually do in your free time? What are your hobbies? Do you like watching movies?…” Vậy để đạt điểm cao trong IELTS Speaking, các bạn cần có vốn từ vựng đa dạng về chủ đề này. Hãy cùng Oxford English UK tìm hiểu những từ vựng đó nhé!
- Adaptation [noun] – refers to films that are inspired from a book or written work: Tác phẩm điện ảnh chuyển thể từ một sách hay truyện
Ví dụ: The Da Vinci Code movie adaptation is a massive success in European countries.
- Blockbuster / Box-office hit [noun] – refers to movies that are commercially successful: phim bom tấn
Ví dụ: Marvel Studio’s latest movie, Avengers: End game, is certified blockbuster.
- Depict [verb] – show; represent; portray: miêu tả
Ví dụ: The movie depicted the suffering of Jews during the World War.
- Flop [noun] – fail totally; failure: thất bại
Ví dụ: It’s sad to know that the movie he first starred is a flop.
- Low-budget film [noun] – refer to motion pictures/movies that are not funded well from a major investor: phim kinh phí thấp
Ví dụ: Some low-budget films are worth watching.
- Movie buff/ Film buff [noun] – refers to a person who is not only interested about the film but also knowledgeable: Dân nghiện phim
Ví dụ: If you want some movie recommendation, you better ask Phil as he is a movie buff.
- Premiere [noun] – the debut; the first public appearance of the film: buổi công chiếu phim
Ví dụ: The premiere of the movie Game of Thrones was very well-praised by the audience.
- Soundtrack/ Film score/Background music [noun] – the music used in a film: Nhạc phim
Ví dụ: The soundtrack of that film is just right, it completely captures the mood of the actors.
- Subtitle [noun] – the caption that can be seen at the bottom of the screen to cater international audiences: Phụ đề
Ví dụ: I don’t rely on subtitles now when watching movies in English as I can already understand.
- Tear – jerking [adj] – affectedly or extravagantly emotional : bi lụy
- Tear – jerker [noun] – refers to a sentimental story, movie, or song, calculated to evoke sadness or sympathy: bộ phim: phim (truyện, bài hát,…) bi lụy
Ví dụ: As I’m an optimistic person, I avoid watching tear-jerking movies.
- Thought-provoking [adj] – making the audience think a lot about the film: dấy lên suy nghĩ
Ví dụ: The ending of the film is thought-provoking and I believe that makes it really entertaining.
- Movie genres [noun] – types or style of film that you can recognize because of its special features: thể loại phim
- Romance movie / Chick flick: phim lãng mạn
Adventure movie : phim phiêu lưu
Biography: phim về tiểu sử (một nhân vật nào đó)
Comedy: phim hài
Documentary: phim tài liệu
Action movie: phim hành động
Animated movie/ Cartoon: phim hoạt hình
Crime movie: phim hình sự
Horror: phim kinh dị
Musical: phim ca nhạc
Science fiction: phim khoa học viễn tưởng
Thriller: phim giật gân, ly kì
Ví dụ: Out of many movie genres, my favorite is the romance.
- Catchy tune [noun] – a tune or a song that is easy to remember and easy to sing: giai điệu lôi cuốn
Ví dụ: Most children songs have catchy tune that even adults could not help but sing.
- Elevator music [noun] – music that is played in malls, supermarkets or restaurants that is repetitive and becomes annoying to some people: nhạc ở nơi công cộng
Ví dụ: Ariana Grande’s latest single has become elevator music.
- In (or out of) tune – correct (incorrect) intonation or pitch: hát đúng (sai) tiết tấu, cao độ
Ví dụ: Some professional singers become out of tune during concerts.
- In time to (the) music [phrase] – when you are playing, singing or dancing and you are in time of music, it means you are doing it right that you are following the music correctly: đúng nhịp
Ví dụ: Her dance moves are in time to the music.
- Instrumental [adj] – music that has no vocals just instruments: không lời
Ví dụ: Instrumental music is really soothing when meditating.
- Last song syndrome [noun] – a kind of experience in which the song continually repeats on one’s head although it is not playing anymore: trạng thái giai điệu bài hát cứ lặp đi lặp lại trong đầu
Ví dụ: I believe I’ve got a last song syndrome of Calum Scott’s Dancing On My Own.
- Mellow [adj.] – soft; relaxing; calm: êm dịu
Ví dụ: Avoid listening to mellow music while driving as I may fall asleep.
- Melody [noun] – a part of musical composition concerning the arrangement of single note to form a gratifying sequence: giai điệu
Ví dụ: The melody of most music in the 70s is completely different to the modern music.
- Music genre [noun] – the type of music : thể loại âm nhạc
Classical – music that has long-established principles, tradition like that of Mozart’s : nhạc cổ điển
Rock – the use of amplified musical instruments such as electric guitar, bass, drums: nhạc Rock
Pop – from the word ‘popular’ or ‘chart music’; it is the modern type of music which is originated in the US and UK: nhạc Pop
Indie (independent) – music that is not affiliated with major record labels, more artistic since it is made under restrictions of commercialism: nhạc Indie
- Turn down (up) – to reduce or minimize (volume up): bật nhỏ (to)
Ví dụ: Please turn down the radio, the music is so annoying.
Every time I hear my favorite song on the radio I always turn up the volume.